On July 20th, Radicle Grants stopped taking in applications.
Below is a summary of the first wave and at bottom, notes on where I’d like to push things going forward.
Below are all grants from Wave 1, ranked first by grant size, with a priority on whether they were accepted.
|DevNode||2022-06-08||50,000.00||1||started||DevNode: Aggregating developer learning and support communities across Discords - #10 by bordumb||voting not completed|
|IDE Plugin Implementation||2022-06-17||27,650.00||1||started||[Application] Radicle Jetbrains IDE Plugin - Implementation Phase 1 - #5 by bordumb||1st 3rd party integration|
|IDE Plugin Research||2022-02-18||25,000.00||1||started||[Application] Radicle IDE Plugins - UX Design - #25 by yorgos||1st 3rd party integration|
|DAOstar One||2022-03-06||20,000.00||1||completed||Grant application: DAOstar One||DAO EIP project; no Radicle specific deliverable|
|Otterspace||2022-05-30||12,500.00||1||started||Otterspace: Soulbound Contributor Badges for DAOs - Grant Application - #6 by rsquare|
|LearnWeb3||2022-02-07||5,000.00||1||abandoned||LearnWeb3 DAO - Grant Application||milestone 1 completed, milestone 2 abandoned|
|CLI x Drips||2022-05-09||4,900.00||1||abandoned||Drips CLI + SDK tutorial for node.js - #4 by donnoh||milestone 1 completed, then abandoned|
|naming radicle orgs||2022-01-22||2,000.00||1||completed||Retroactive Grant Application - Naming Radicle Orgs in Upstream - #2 by bordumb||retroactive funding|
|Yubiai||2022-06-13||300,000.00||0||rejected||Yubiai (D-Marketplace) - Grant Application - #2 by bordumb||unrelated to Radicle|
|Proposal Inverter||2022-04-07||150,000.00||0||rejected||Grant Application- Dogfooding the Proposal Inverter - #8 by bordumb||unable to reach quorum; unrealistic timelines and unproven team|
|Radicle Analytics||2022-03-21||84,000.00||0||rejected||[Application] - Radicle Discovery + Analytics - #4 by mrudulgole||Radicle products not ready yet|
|ETHAnglia||2022-02-03||50,000.00||0||rejected||ETHAnglia - 0 to web3 - #10 by ETHAnglia||unrelated to Radicle, no very scalable|
|Ditto NFT Futures||2022-02-02||50,000.00||0||rejected||[Application] Ditto Protocol - NFT Futures - #2 by bordumb||unrelated to Radicle|
|3RM.co||2022-05-03||50,000.00||0||rejected||3RM.co - Grant Application|
|RADAR||2022-05-02||50,000.00||0||rejected||RADAR x Radicle Grant Proposal||unrelated to Radicle|
|YieldGate||2022-05-18||49,600.00||0||rejected||Yieldgate Grant Application - #7 by seb||unrelated to Radicle|
|YieldGate 2||2022-07-18||49,200.00||0||rejected||Yieldgate - development, badges and Drips integration research - #3 by seb||unrelated to Radicle|
|JokeDAO||2022-06-14||40,000.00||0||rejected||Jokedao — grant application||unrelated to Radicle|
|OutTube||2022-06-13||30,000.00||0||rejected||OurTube Grant Application - #2 by bordumb||unrelated to Radicle|
|TributeDAO Framework Integration||2022-03-31||25,000.00||0||rejected||Radicle Org TributeDAO Framework Integration - #5 by alpinelines||unrelated to Radicle|
|Widelens||2022-02-13||25,000.00||0||rejected||Grant Application for Widelens - #8 by bordumb||unrelated to Radicle|
|no-name||2022-02-04||20,000.00||0||rejected||Grant application for Freeform Grant - #2 by bordumb||incomplete application|
|CommunityBuild||2022-06-25||15,000.00||0||rejected||CommunityBuild x Radicle Grant Proposal||general rule to not fund marketing|
|DeFiSlate DAO||2022-02-07||10,000.00||0||rejected||Grant application DeFiSlate DAO - #2 by bordumb||unrelated to Radicle|
|Radicle Community Anthem||2022-04-06||6,500.00||0||rejected||Radicle Community Anthem||general rule to not fund marketing|
|Odyssey DAO||2022-03-29||0.00||0||rejected||Odyssey DAO - Grant Application||missing too much info|
|NFT Search Engine||2022-06-03||0.00||0||rejected||Expanding NFT and Metaverse Ecosystem on Radicle by creating NFT Search Engine - #2 by bordumb||unrelated to Radicle|
The majority of successful grants directly support the Radicle ecosystem, web3, or FOSS in general.
Conversely, the majority of rejections were due to grants not being related to Radicle or FOSS.
This is in-line with the original charger and should continue.
- Total applications: 27
- Total applications in USDC: 1,151,350 USDC
- Total grants funded: 8 (29% success rate)
- Total grants funded in USDC: ~52,430 USDC (5.2% of total)
- 1 applicant returned for a 2nd grant
- 1 project drove prioritization of Core Dev work (Gnosis Safe, multi-sig integration for Work-Streams)
- 1 vote rejected after voting started
- Short term: find better ways to gauge vote intent earlier on
- Long term: implement some off-chain way of voting to get intent
- 1 grant abandoned due to core Radicle product issues (LearnWeb3; little/no Microsoft support)
- Short term: find better ways to assess possible issues on horizon
- Long term: get Microsoft supported
- 1 grant abandoned due to 3rd party dependency issues (CLI x Drips; WalletConnect issues)
- Short term: get grantee team more closely connected to Core Dev, if helpful
- Long term: possibly create partnerships with 3rd party dependencies to fund/prioritize around grantee roadblocks
- 2:5 ratio between Grant Funding to Committee Fees (too high)
- Short term: recruit more high quality grants that can pass quorum, so that this ratio improves
- Long term: same as above
Ranked in order by number of votes:
- Bordumb: 13
- Nader: 12
- Nas: 11
- Abbey: 10
- Reverie (Larry + Derek): 5
- Kei: 4
Note: the numbers indicate votes made, including instances where the member explicitly abstained from voting on Discourse.
- Return wave 1 funds to Treasury Address by September 20, 2022
- Reapply with new proposal - focused on optimistic funding - by September 20, 2022
- Ask current multi-sig members to continue work, with deadline of September 20, 2022
- Grant Committee: facilitate grants exclusively using Workstreams. First time grants get 20% streamed over each milestone’s timeline, with 80% one-off payment upon completion. Trust-worthy grantees (i.e. returning teams) get 50% streamed over same timeline, with 50% upon completion.
- Grantees: grantees using Issues, Patches, etc.
Retroactively Fund Dependencies
- Get 4 main dependencies of ours (Gnosis Safe, Snapshot, Compound, Drips Devs) onboarded to Drips, including configuring Drips for 3-4 of their dependencies.
- Drip $10,000 (4% of budget) to each dependency.
- Write blog post about retroactive funding of FOSS.
- 1st Party Projects: If a grantee gets blocked with a core Radicle Grants dependency, find a way to unblock them by getting on Core Dev roadmap
- 1st Party Recruiting: Use Grants as a funnel to recruit for Core Dev teams + build new Core teams
- 3rd Party: If a grantee gets blocked with a 3rd party dependency, find a way to unblock them by partnering with, and possibly funding that 3rd party to prioritize work to unblock grantee
Be at forefront of transition to DAO
- Proposal: create new sub-DAO proposal by September 20th
- Funding: switch to optimistic funding (e.g. 1,000,000 USDC until revoked by main DAO, with option to re-up on ad-hoc basis)
- Reviews: switch to optimistic reviews (e.g. once per 6 month period, with no changes to general structure unless noted)